“We already know where the voracious greed for power, the imposition of one’s ideas as absolute, and the rejection of those who think differently will take us: to a numbness of conscience and to abandonment. Only the commitment of love in all its simplicity—steady, humble, unassuming but firm in conviction and in commitment to others—can save us.”
– Pope Francis
An Examination of Conscience
(Based on 1 Corinthians 13)
Love is Patient and Kind
- Have I been patient with residents, staff, and family members?
- Have I been patient with my own family members?
- Have I been patient with myself? Have I trusted God to take care of me?
- Have I reflected Christ by kindness to all I meet?
- Am I kind to residents who may be suffering? Do I greet them with kind words and encouragement?
Love is Never Jealous
- Do I thank God each day for my blessings?
- Have I been jealous of the good fortune of others?
- Do I complain or fall into self-pity?
- Do I doubt God’s goodness and His love for me?
Love is Not Boastful or Conceited
- Do I recognize that everything I have is a gift from God?
- Do I judge others harshly or think myself better than others?
- Do I realize my need for God, and do I pray each day for His guidance and protection?
Love is Never Rude
- Have I been harsh in the way I have spoken to anyone?
- Have I gossiped or talked about others behind their backs?
- Have I been ungrateful to or short-tempered with others?
- Have I used God’s name in vain?
Love Does Not Store Up Grievances
- Have I forgiven everyone who has ever hurt me?
- Do I hold a grudge against anyone?
- Have I accepted God’s forgiveness for my own sins, and do I forgive myself when God has forgiven me?
Love Does Not Rejoice in Wrongdoing
- Have I ever advised anyone to do something that I know is against God’s laws?
- Have I spoken up when I believe that a family member may be in spiritual danger due to their choices?
- Do I participate in conversations that belittle or make fun of others?
- Have I purposefully watched television or Internet programs that are displeasing to God? Do I always seek to be pure in heart?
Love Rejoices in the Truth
- Have I spent time in prayer each day to seek God and His truth?
- Have I attended church services when I am able?
- Have I been dishonest to others in any way?
Love is Always Ready to Trust, Hope and Endure
- Do I trust in God and His goodness and love for me?
- Have I doubted my faith?
- Do I hope in God’s mercy, or do I believe that God could never forgive me?
- Do I patiently endure sickness and suffering, or do I become angry at God for my crosses?