Halloween candy is delicious, but it’s also loaded with refined sugar, additives, and calories, and not enough nutrients. To help you make a healthier choice, we reviewed the calorie counts and nutrition content of 14 of the “healthier” Halloween treats and ranked them from best to worst.
- A Roll of Smarties: 25 calories, 6 grams of sugar, 0 grams of total fat
Low in calories, sugar, and fat, Smarties are the clear winner when it comes to healthy candy.
- Classic Tootsie Pop: 60 calories, 11 grams of sugar, 0 grams of total fat
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? The Tootsie Pop website reports the answer is anywhere for 144 to 411. The length of time it takes to eat a Tootsie Pop is one of the reasons it’s considered a “healthy” Halloween treat – you can’t over indulge.
- Treat Size Sour Patch Kids: 120 calories, 22 grams of sugar, 0 grams of total fat
- Airheads Mini Bars: 140 calories, 19 grams of sugar, 1.5 grams of total fat
- Laffy Taffy Mini Bar: 140 calories, 19 grams of sugar, 2 grams of total fat
- Mini Pack Starburst Original: 150 calories, 28 grams of sugar, 2 grams of total fat
- Tootsie Roll Snack Bar: 120 calories, 17 grams of sugar, 2.5 grams of total fat
If you’re looking to satisfy your chocolate craving while maintaining a low-fat lifestyle, then Tootie Rolls are your best bet.
- Brach’s Candy Corn Treat Packs: 150 calories, 31 grams of sugar, 0 grams of total fat
- Fun Size Skittles: 190 calories, 34 grams of sugar, 2 grams of total fat
- Snack Size Kit Kat: 140 calories, 14 grams of sugar, 7 grams of total fat
Kit Kats are considered the best choice candy bar, probably because the main component is a light wafer.
- Fun Size Milky Way: 160 calories, 21 grams of sugar, 6 grams of total fat
- Fun Size Butterfinger: 170 calories, 17 grams of sugar, 7 grams of total fat
Lower in sugar and fat than many of its counterparts, Butterfingers make for a good choice.
- Fun Size Baby Ruth: 170 calories, 20 grams of sugar, 8 grams of total fat
Peanuts give this candy a slight edge, adding two grams of protein to its nutritional info.
- Snack Size 3 Musketeers: 190 calories, 30 grams of sugar, 6 grams of total fat
The heroic candy is relatively high in calories and sugar, but it lacks any of the traditional additions — caramel and peanuts, for example — that make many chocolate bars high in fat. So if you’re looking for a low-fat chocolate fix, 3 Musketeers is a good option.
Healthy (and Delicious) Trick-or-Treat Options
Here are 15 portable, healthy, and fun foods that are great for handing out to trick-or-treaters.
- Granola Bars
- Teddy Grahams
- Fruit Leathers
- Kudos Fruit & Nut Bar
- 100% Juice Boxes
- Sugarless Gum Packs
- Frito-Lay Munchies Kid Mix
- Packs of cheese & crackers
- Chex Mix
- Chocolate-covered dried fruit
- Honey Maid Cinnamon Sticks
- Welch’s Fruit Snacks
- Rice Krispies Treats
- Animal Crackers
- Nutrition bars such as NutriPals or Luna
Sensible Candy Choices
If you do decide to hand out candy on Halloween night, be sure to make these more sensible choices:
- Opt for low-fat. Choose candy, such as Peppermint Patties, Three Musketeers, and Twizzlers. These all have less fat and calories than their counterparts and still taste great.
- Size matters. Always offer fun-size or snack-size versions of candy to decrease the calories, fat, and sugar content. Kids get a sugar fix without over-doing it.
- More isn’t always better. When handing out candy, don’t give out multiple pieces or handfuls. Give one fun-size candy bar or treat and then hand out a healthier option, such as a mini box of raisins or a pack of sugarless gum or candy.